Monday, September 17, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Butter

I love all things pumpkin--the taste, the way it smells, the color, everything. I couldn't wait to try out some fun pumpkin recipes this fall. There's a ton of delicous pumpkin desserts out there, but I'm trying to be a little healthier, so I went to Skinnytaste for some ideas. I wanted to make the Skinny Pumpkin Overnight Oats, since I try and eat Overnight Oats for breakfast every morning, but it called for homemade pumpkin butter. It was so easy to make and made so much! It's only 1 point per serving and I love it. I put it on my Weight Watcher bagels and it'd be perfect to dip apple slices in. I think I'm going to keep a jar of this on hand from now on. I gave some to the boys, Evan wouldn't try it, but Carter loved it.

Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients:

1 (29 ounce) can pure pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup apple juice
1 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)

Directions:
Combine pureed pumpkin, vanilla, apple juice, spices, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to your taste. Makes 3 3/4 cups.

Nutritional facts and original recipe can be found here


.

No comments :

Post a Comment