Friday, August 10, 2012

Lady and Sons Okra and Tomatoes

This has been the first year that I've grown okra and we've had SO much. We only planted two plants but I feel like a pick a few new okra almost every day. I found a Paula Deen recipe for okra and tomatoes and decided to try it this week. It's Paula Deen, so you know it turned out good. I actually discovered that some of my fresh okra was pretty hard, but other than that it was delicious. I'm going to buy some frozen okra this fall and winter so I can make this dish year round. Besides the 4 slices of bacon, it's actually a very healthy recipe.

Lady and Sons Okra and Tomatoes

Ingredients

  • 4 slices bacon, diced into small pieces
  • 1 small onion,peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon chicken base
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 cups fresh okra, cut into 1-inch pieces (may use frozen, if fresh not available)
  • Fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Cook bacon slightly. Saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender. Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar and pepper. Stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed. Meanwhile wash okra and remove fuzz if using fresh and cut into pieces. Add the okra and simmer until okra is done, about 20 more minutes (less if using frozen okra.)

No comments :

Post a Comment