Monday, October 12, 2009

Philadelphia

Greg and I took advantage of the Columbus Day weekend and went to Philadelphia to do some sightseeing. We had a lot of fun. We did a lot of walking and saw a lot of things. Of course, we went by the Liberty Bell and got some pictures with that. We also toured the East State Penitentiary, which was the first penitentiary and was were Al Capone stayed when he was locked up. It was very interesting and a little eerie.

We did the daytime tour, they offered a nighttime haunted house, which I thought would be fun, but we didn't want to worry about trying to catch a bus at night. We had enough of a time trying to figure out which bus took us where in the daytime. Parking is super expensive there, so we got a special deal-book a room for two nights, and get hotel parking for free, and we just left our car in the parking lot the entire time. We walked most places, but some we had to take a bus for and we got quite lost. The bus drivers there are really sweet though and helped us get back to our hotel.
We went to some bars both nights that we were there. According to one website I researched before the trip, Philadelphia is the "beer drinking capital". They have several local breweries and almost everything on tap was nothing we had ever heard of, so we had fun going from bar to bar trying different beers out. And of course we had to have a Philly Cheese Steak. It was good, but honestly, I like my dad's better. We also met some fun people at our hotel bar, a girl who just got out of the Navy, her sister and her dad, we had some drinks with them and really enjoyed hanging out with them our last night there.

I love going on trips, it's one of my favorite things to do and I love having a trip planned for the future so I have something to look forward to and plan for. I'm not sure where we're going to go next (I'm not counting trips to see our families over the holidays, that's not sightseeing trips) I'm thinking of Boston, Niagara Falls, or Chicago. We'll see. Check out the pictures from a our trip. You can see all of them at our Shutterfly website.

The penitentiary was especially creepy because of the cloudy day we were having.





We had to get an authentic Philly cheese steak while we were here.


Greg, drinking a local beer.

Taking a soco and lime shot. There were advertised at every bar we went to, so I thought maybe it was a local favorite.


No comments :

Post a Comment